With the Memorial Day weekend rapidly approaching, Washington Parish Sheriff Randy Seal urges caution on roads and waterways.
Whether families are staying close to home or traveling away during the holiday period, Sheriff Seal offers some common sense safety tips for a safe holiday celebration:
- Do not drive or boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Obey posted speed limits on all roads.
- Buckle up, no matter how short the trip.
- Focus on driving or boating. Avoid such distractions as texting and talking on cell phones.
- Slow down in construction zones on Highway 10 and elsewhere.
- Restrict access and closely monitor teens to prevent underage use of alcoholic beverages.
- Be extra careful when using outdoor grills. Never leave them unattended and place them a safe distance from everyone, especially children.
- Although good weather is predicted for the weekend, always pay attention to weather conditions, particularly if there is a chance of thunder or lightning.
- Always use sunscreen and wear a hat for outside activities.
- If traveling and staying at a hotel/motel, always review escape plans with your entire group. Always lock your room door and your vehicle doors.
Washington Parish Sheriff's Office deputies will be out in full force during the holiday weekend enforcing all traffic laws and being on the lookout for any criminal activity. Sheriff Seal stated, "We want all Washington Parish residents and visitors to have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend. Please do all you can to avoid being a holiday statistic. Use common sense and an extra degree of safety in all activities. Always keep a watchful eye on children."
All residents are encouraged to report any suspicious activity to the Washington Parish Sheriff's Office at (985) 839-3434.